Clemson spurs innovation for industry to prosper
There is a growing demand for advanced manufacturing, health care and health care-related manufacturing businesses in Oconee County. Relocating to this area doesn’t just mean a prime location – companies can locate off Interstate 85 between two major U.S. cities – it also means access to innovative research and a workforce pipeline from one of the country’s leading public institutions, Clemson University.
Clemson is transforming the way South Carolina does business. From extensive industry partnerships to cutting-edge research and quality educational programs, the University is a driving force behind the State’s transformation to a knowledge-based economy.
Aligning closely with the needs of South Carolina, two of Clemson’s key focus areas with dedicated resources are health innovation and advanced manufacturing, often intersecting with work in biomedical devices, personalized medicine and health care delivery and access.
At Clemson, you will find faculty, students and staff engaged in several related projects like groundbreaking sterile syringe-filling robotics research with Nephron Pharmaceuticals. Our partnership with sports medicine leader Arthrex has brought together health innovation, advanced manufacturing and workforce development to create specialized curricula, multidisciplinary certificate programs and branded scholarships. And more than 160 faculty members conduct health-related research alongside two of the state’s largest healthcare systems: Prisma Health and the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC).
Today, companies have to thrive in a global economy. Clemson accelerates and magnifies impacts for companies by connecting them with the people, research and facilities that have made the University a recognized leader in higher education. Through the University’s Office of Corporate Partnership and Strategic Initiatives (OCPSI), industry has a one-stop shop to connect with Clemson.
Through partnerships that transcend traditional university and corporate partnerships, businesses can tap into the University’s best and brightest in experiential learning environments and to conduct research, validate results and educate the workforce of the future.
This work is happening across campus and in Oconee County every day at centers and institutes, like:
- Institute for Engaged Aging: Located at Prisma Health’s Oconee Memorial Hospital, researchers are working to discover, develop and disseminate best practices and initiatives enabling older adults to be engaged in family and community living regardless of their social, economic or health status.
- Clemson University Center for Advanced Manufacturing (CAM): The intersection of education, research, innovation and engagement with the overarching goal to improve manufacturing effectiveness, quality and sustainability. Emphasis areas include, but are not limited to:
- Digital and end-to-end manufacturing.
- Control and assembly operations.
- Robotics, sensors, wearables and IOT.
- Materials innovation with composites and light weighting.
- Autonomous systems.
- Clemson University Center for Human Genetics: Where leading scientists from around the world work to advance our understanding of the fundamental principles by which genetic and environmental factors determine and predict both healthy traits and susceptibility to disease in humans.
- Clemson University Bioengineering Innovation Center (CUBEInC): Consists of 30,000 square feet of state-of-the-art facilities for research, education, bioimaging research and surgical skills along with translational and incubator spaces and meeting and networking accommodations shared by Clemson scientists and Prisma Health.
Whether you’re looking to relocate, expand existing operations, drive workforce development or develop research to address real-world problems, we invite you to work with OCPSI and the Oconee Economic Development Alliance to accelerate your impact and reach your organization’s goals. We can’t wait to see you in the Upstate.
Written by Clemson University’s Office of Corporate Partnerships and Strategic Initiatives